Mahabubnagar District Tourist Places: Mahabubnagar is the biggest district in Telangana State, find here information about Mahabubnagar District Tourist Places, attractions, Temples information.
Mahabubnagar was formerly known as “Rukmammapeta” and “Palamooru”. The name was changed to Mahabubnagar on 4 December 1890, in honour of Mir Mahbub Ali Khan Asaf Jah VI, the Nizam of Hyderabad (1869-1911 AD).
- 1 Mahabubnagar District Tourist Places
- 1.1 Pillalamarri
- 1.2 Alampur
- 1.3 Gadwal
- 1.4 Koilsagar Project
- 1.5 Umamaheshwaram (Home of Parvathi and Lord Siva)
- 1.6 Mallelatheertham
- 1.7 Manyamkonda Sri Lakshmi Venkateshwara Swamy Temple
- 1.8 Wanaparthi
- 1.9 Bala Nagamma (Aidamma)
- 1.10 Sri Ranganayaka Swamy, Srirangapur
- 1.11 Beechupalli Anjaneya Swamy Temple
- 1.12 Madhana gopala swamy Temple, Kollapur
- 1.13 Sangameswar Temple, Somasila
- 1.14 Jetaprolu Temples
- 1.15 Mannanur Tiger Sanctuary, Mannanur
- 1.16 Kurumurthy Srinivas Swamy Temple
Mahabubnagar District Tourist Places
Check herer Mahabubnagar District Tourist Places
- Koilsagar Project
- Umamaheshwaram (Home of Parvathi and Lord Siva)
- Mallelatheertham water fall
- Manyamkonda Sri Lakshmi Venkateshwara Swamy Temple
- Wanaparthi Kota
- Bala Nagamma (Aidamma)
- Sri Ranganayaka Swamy, Srirangapur
- Beechupalli Anjaneya Swamy Temple
- Sangameswar Temple, Somasila
- Mannanur Tiger Sanctuary, Mannanur
- The Temple of Sri Kurumurthy Srinivas Swamy
The most interesting place to see in Mahabubnagar is the famous banyan tree called Pillalamrri, which is about 4 km from the town. There is a tomb of a Muslim saint under the tree. The tree presents the appearance of a small hillock with green foliage from a distance but on reaching closer, it looks like a large green umbrella under which about thousand people can easily take shelter.
It is 700 year old banyan tree and its branches extend over an area of 3 acres. In Telugu, “Pillalu” means children & “marri” means a banyan tree. There is also an aquarium, a small zoo and an archaeological museum here.
Alampur is located in Mahabubnagar District and it is home to the very ancient Navabhramma temples dating back to the 7th century. Alampur is located at a distance of 200 km from Hyderabad. Alampur is considered to be the western gateway of Sree Sailam, the revered Jyotirlinga Shivastalam.
The southern, eastern, and northern gateways are Siddhavattam, Tripurantakamand and Umamaheswaram respectively. The Tungabhadra and Krishna are in confluence near Alampur, which is also known as Dakshina Kailasam (as is Sree Kalahasti in Southern Andhra Pradesh). Nine temples here referred to as the Nava Bhramma temples are dedicated to Shiva.The Nava Bhramma temples were built by the Badami Chalukyas, who ruled for about 200 years from the middle of the sixth century onwards.
Gadwal is a town between the Krishna and Tungabadra rivers. It is famous for its handloom weaving industry. Gadwal silk saris, with exquisite zari work command a good market through out the country.
The Koilsagar dam, about 8 km from Koil Konda village, stretches across the Peddavagu, a minor tributary of the Krishna River. The western stretch of this picturesque reservoir is surrounded by high hills, making it a beautiful spot.
Umamaheshwaram (Home of Parvathi and Lord Siva)
Umamahesshwaram is located at a distance of 150 km from Hyderabad and close by Achampet in Mahabubnagar District. Umamaheshwaram temple is situated on very tall hills of Nallamala forests and dates back to 2nd century A.D. To reach the temple, one has to ride on very steep and dangerous curves of 5 mile length from the bottom of the hill. It is well known as North Entrance to Srisailam (Jyotirlingam). The presiding deities in Umamaheshwaram are Mallikarjuna (Shiva) and Bhramaramba (Devi).
One of the most pleasant place in the Mahabubnagar is Mallelatheertham. It is a beautiful place to visit for the Lovers of Nature. It is a wonderful waterfall located in the Nallamala forest region on the way to Srisailam.
Manyamkonda Sri Lakshmi Venkateshwara Swamy Temple
Manikonda is one among the places of religious importance in Mahboobnagar district. This place is situated at a distance of 6-km from Devarkadra railway station on the Secunderabad-Dronachellam section of the South Central Railway.
As the place was originally a thick forest and the hill on which Lord Venkateswara established Himself was in the heart of the forest, this place is called ‘Mannemkonda’ (‘Mannem’ is forest and ‘Konda’ is hill), ‘Manyamkonda’ and ‘Manikonda’.
The Lakshmi Venkateswara shrine is on a 915 m high hill that is 2 km from the village.
The ancient shrine of Vittaleswara is located at Wanaparthi. The Sarlasagar project nearby features the biggest syphon dam in the world.
Bala Nagamma (Aidamma)
This famous ancient place has perched a coveted place in the temple history due to its association with the infinitely popular Balanagamma folk lore story popularised by the Burrakatha artistes akin to Harikatha bhagavathothamas. The goddess Aidamma played a spectacular role and established for herself a permanent place. Daily pujas and the annual festival falling in the month of Sravana lure huge crowds.
Sri Ranganayaka Swamy, Srirangapur
The temple built by Krishnadevaraya is near the “Ratna Pushkarini’ lake. Srirangapur is situated at a distance of 12 kms from Wanaparthy, which is 100 kms from Mahbubnagar.
Beechupalli Anjaneya Swamy Temple
Beechupalli Anjaneya Swamy Temple lies in Mahbubnagar District in Alampur Mandal. It is in between Hyderabad – Kurnool route (NH 7), about one mile from Kondapeta. Rivers Krishna and Thungabadra merge at this place. The main deity is Lord Anjaneya. The main idol belongs to 16th century.
Madhana gopala swamy Temple, Kollapur
The Madhava Swamy temple at Kollapur was originally built by the 16th century A.D., on the left bank of river Krishna , at Manchalakatta. The architecture of the temple is exceedingly beautiful. All around the temple walls , the beautifully carved sculptures depict the 24 aspects of Vishnu and Dasavathars of Vishnu. Various pillars supporting the mandapa, the Garudalaya, add beauty to the temple complex.
Due to the submergence under the Srisailam project reservoir, this temple was shifted and transplanted at Kollapur. This temple is located 180 km from Hyderabad and 110 kms from Kurnool and Mahabubnagar.
Sangameswar Temple, Somasila
This temple was shifted from Sangameswar to Somashila to protect from being drowned in Krishna water. There are many Shivalingas in the temple complex. Shivarathri and Karthikamasam are well celebrated. Pushkara snanam is considered as most auspicious. Somasila is situated at a distance of 15 kms from Kollapur which is 158 kms from Mahbubnagar and 55 kms from Kurnool.
Located 9 km from Kollapur 158 km from Mahabubnagar and 215 KM from Hyderabad, this place is famous for the ancient Agasthyeswara Swamy temple built between the 10 th & 16th century A.D. Festivals like Sivarathri, Kartiha Pournami, Masa Sivarathri and Toli Ekadasi are celebrated with great fervour.
This temple was shifted to Jetprole when the Krishna waters threatened to submerge the villages after the construction of the Srisailam dam. Another temple 15 km from Kollapur, is the Madana Gopala Swamy temple built by the Rajas of Jetprole during the 16th century A.D. The pillars, beams and the walls of the temple are richly adorned with beautiful sculptures.
Mannanur Tiger Sanctuary, Mannanur
Dry deciduous mixed forest along the river Krishna which cuts through a picturesque gorge of the Nallamala hills with deep valleys on sides. The sanctuary with a wide area of 3568 Sq. km. spans Guntur, Prakasam, Kurnool, Mahabubnagar and Nalgonda districts. It is about 130 km south of Hyderabad. Animals found are Spotted Deer, Mouse Deer, Black Bucks, Sambhars, Chousingha Nilgai, Wild Boar, Indian Giant Squirrel, Tree Shrew, Rayel, Mugger Crocodiles, Wild dogs, Jackals, Wolves, Foxes, Sloth Bear, Panthers and Tigers.
Kurumurthy Srinivas Swamy Temple
This temple is on the hills of Kurupathi or Kurumurthy. It is self-manifested (Swayambhu). In 1350 AD Sri Mukkara Chandra Reddy constructed the temple. It was later renovated by Sri Ramabhupal and Kotha Kapulu.