The Nizamabad District Education Department will introduce the SMS System in all government high schools in the district to monitor the attendance of teachers and students and to supervise the implementation of the mid-day meal system.
While nearly 80 percent of the teachers are welcoming the introduction of this system, remaining 20 per cent of teachers unions were opposing this system. Criticising the move, they said that it was an infringement of their rights.
Nizamabad District Collector Yogita Rana and DEO Lingaiah wanted to introduce SMS system to ensure the smooth functioning of all the government schools in Nizamabad district and make them more transparent.
Through the SMS system, the officials of the education department will get the details pertaining to the attendance of school children. It would also prevent the absence of teachers and check the irregularities in the implementation of mid-day meals scheme.
In this system, every government school headmaster should send the details of to their school to the DEO through an SMS or through phone. After receiving the SMS, the DEO and their staff will conduct surprise raids on various schools and cross check the information given by headmasters.
In most of the government schools, teachers are accused of absenting themselves from schools and were carrying out private business activities during school hours. To prevent such regularities, DEO Lingaiah decided to introduce the SMS System, though some teachers were opposed to it.
Speaking to The Hans India here on Monday, DEO Lingaiah said that this system would give them details of the attendance of students and teachers and also how the mid- day meal scheme was being implemented. He said that majority of the teachers’ unions gave their approval to the SMS system and it was not aimed against any teacher.
Devi Singh, District Telangana Teachers Federation president, said that their association welcomed the SMS System as it was not against anyone. Only a few corrupt teachers who absent themselves regularly were opposing this system, he added.
Venigalla Suresh, district UTF president said that with the SMS system, the functioning of the school would be improved making it more transparent. Government should put a check to bogus enrollment of students in the mid-day meal scheme.
This system should enhance the confidence levels among teachers those who attend their duties regularly and the District Teachers Federation should welcome this system, he added.